palindrome NOUN a word or sequence that reads the same backwards as forwards, e.g. madam.
DERIVATIVES palindromic adjective.
ORIGIN from Greek palindromos 'running back again' .

English terms dictionary. 2015.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • palindromic — palindrómic adj. m., pl. palindrómici; f. sg. palindrómică, pl. palindrómice Trimis de siveco, 10.08.2004. Sursa: Dicţionar ortografic  PALINDRÓMIC, Ă adj. recurent (I, 1). (< fr. palindromique) …   Dicționar Român

  • Palindromic — Pal in*drom ic, Palindromical Pal in*drom ic*al, a. Of, pertaining to, or like, a palindrome. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • palindromic — Recurring. * * * pal·in·dro·mic .pal ən drō mik adj 1) RECURRENT <palindromic rheumatism> 2) of, relating to, or consisting of a double stranded sequence of DNA in which the order of the nucleotides is the same on each side but running in… …   Medical dictionary

  • palindromic — adjective see palindrome …   New Collegiate Dictionary

  • palindromic — See palindrome. * * * …   Universalium

  • palindromic — adjective of, relating to, or being a palindrome …   Wiktionary

  • palindromic — pælɪn drÉ‘mɪk / drÉ’m adj. reads the same forwards and backwards, can also be read from end to beginning …   English contemporary dictionary

  • palindromic — pal·in·dromic …   English syllables

  • palindromic — adj. relapsing: describing diseases or symptoms that recur or get worse …   The new mediacal dictionary

  • palindromic — …   Useful english dictionary